Part Time School Counselor Position
Our Mission: Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy provides a differentiated and challenging learning environment that supports the distinctive intellectual, social, and emotional needs of highly gifted children and enables them to form meaningful relationships with their intellectual peers.
This position would support students, teachers, and parents in working with highly gifted children and the unique social and emotional characteristics associated with them. The counselor would be responsible for working with children ages 5-13 in various settings. They would be an active member of our intervention team, health department, social/emotional learning program and student support services. We are seeking an individual who is a versatile self-starter, collaborative, an expert in children's counseling with a passion for highly gifted children.
It is recommended that the candidate have experience working with students in kindergarten-eighth grade, have a strong understanding of child and human development, working in collaboration with teachers and parents; and the ability to develop students in areas of social-emotional learning. Scholars Academy seeks an individual who loves children, models professional ethics, and understands the rewards and challenges of counseling gifted children.
• Act as a leader in supporting our social and emotional learning program
• Collaborate and communicate effectively and happily with colleagues and with parents
• Model flexibility and a willingness to take risks
• Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth
• Work with students individually, in small groups and through whole group lessons
• Lead professional development for teachers
• Educate parents on the counseling needs of students
• Demonstrate interest and ability to contribute beyond the classroom (to the school, the community, and the field)
• Lead by example in your commitment to Scholar’s Academy mission, vision, and values
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field
• Successful counseling experience in an elementary and middle school environment
• Excellent communication skills
• Be fully licensed or willing to obtain North Carolina counseling licensure
• Has strong classroom management and organization skills
• Hold an advanced degree in counseling area
• Two or more years of successful counseling experience
• Experience teaching and/or working with gifted students
• Are independent, reflective, flexible, and adaptable
• Work comfortably with technology
• Has a certification in teaching gifted students